Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Back to work...Hormones in Balance


Today was my first day back to work (in the office). I worked from home, yesterday. Wow! I was just looking at the last post and so much has happened since then (especially a calming of the hormones and the disappearance of that pesky postpartum crap that interferes with rational thinking). Can you tell I'm not an emotional person?

So, here's what's up: Hubby and I have been working with our babe on her behavior issues and boy have things changed. I also figured out that the babe challenges people to whom she perceives as timid or not able to "hold their own". She knows she can walk over them...not that it's right, but it's definitely her desire to test her boundaries and see how far she can go. Anyway, she now owns up to her mistakes and issues and does a much better job of listening. Sadly, too much had occurred at her school that we had to move her to our own, neighborhood district (everything happens for a reason, everything happens for a reason, everything happens for a reason...). We had a student conference with the teacher on Wednesday, February 22nd. He let us know that she was on track, completely with her education (letters, numbers, words, math, etc...). Then, we discussed behavior and he told us that if she didn't have "perfect" behavior for the remaining week and a half, she would need to leave (the end of their term and, in their opinion, the best time to make a change). It was pretty final in his voice and the student-teacher was non-vocal most of the meeting.

I'm not one to throw down the race-card and hubby and I looked at all aspects of the situation before we came to this conclusion but, we felt that the student-teacher had pretty much washed her hands of our little one. And, she looked at me like she was terrified the entire time we sat there. We had only talked on the phone and, as I've sad, I speak the King's English. No ebonics here (okay, when I get mad or you know, when I've had too much to drink). She probably thought (after seeing my husband) that he was a big, black man that married a white woman...someone she could potentially deal with. Wrong, lady. Her male teacher (who is married, but totally in denial of his gayness) was trying to be as nice as possible, but we could tell that they wanted my little one gone. I believe now that it wasn't entirely due to behavior stuff (cause after observing some of the kids in her class, she wasn't exactly alone in her antics), but because their classroom was in high demand, over crowded and in need of spaces for kids already in the district. Hence, out with the old, in with the new.

So, after the meeting, hubby and I went to the school where the babe is zoned. The atmosphere was totally different immediately. I believe that the location (a military town) made the difference in how we felt. Upon first inspection, there were children of all colors which immediately put us at ease. They have an understanding of diversity and are, more likely, more accepting. Whatever it was, we felt better. We left with paperwork and turned it in completed a few days later. I then wrote a letter to the babe's school and let them know of her last day. Her daycare manager choked up on the phone...she was truly going to miss our girl. I felt good that she'd made a positive impression on them.

A bit panicked, but not as panicked as I was in my last post (damn those hormones), I began trying to figure out what to do. Then, I put it in God's hands cause, well, this was too big for me. The answer came in the form of an idea. I met with my boss for lunch and discussed the situation with him, just letting him now what was up (after all, she would starting 1/2 day kindergarten 30 miles away on the day I was to return to work). We brainstormed a bit, but didn't come up with anything. Then, I prayed again on the way home. Once there, I whipped out my computer and drafted a proposal; work from home Mondays and Fridays to help keep the momentum of the behavior progress going, while continuing my normal work schedule in the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. This would be for the duration of the school year (beginning of June). I had my hubby look at it and my mother proof it then, praying again, I sent it to my boss. He called Thursday night to say, "Without too much discussion, it was approved." Amen!

The last day for the babe was last Friday and we spent the weekend working on transitioning her into the new location (basically telling her about her new teacher and all the cool friends she was going to make). Monday, she was ready-like-Freddy and was so excited to tell me about her new school at the end of the day. I was so grateful. I keep praying that things will continue to go as well as they are.

Indy is cooing, smiling and laughing now. Her big sister is the one that can get her to laugh on cue. It's so special. Big sis has mellowed out a lot, I think, due to Indy being here. I sure do love my girls. More to come! (Still at work...no more time to type)

1 comment:

Icey said...

Awww what a wodnerful update! So glad that everything worked out with the little one!