Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rereading Bachman

As a junior high and high schooler, I read a lot of Dean Koont.z and Stephen Kin.g. They adorned my nightstand for those years and even into college. Eventually, I grew bored of Stephen and Dean became a very predictable formula writer. College offered many, classical reading assignments so leisure reading was almost non-existent anyway. Every so often, I wonder what it would be like to read some of their newer offerings, then something comes up or some author craze surfaces and I forget to dig into my old favorites.

About a week ago, hubby and I were talking about how suggestion changed our opinions on certain foods. Because someone or something effected a food item, we no longer want or have the desire to eat whatever it is. I told him that I loved cherry pie as a child...until I read Thinner. Well, that's all it took. I have not eaten one, solitary slice since that novel. What was it, specifically, that made it so hard for me to even look at a slice anymore? I jumped on the library's online catalog and put a hold on the book. I had to know. (of course, we'll also rewatch the movie too...you know us). ;)

Once I got it, I realized I was holding a Richard Bachm.an book in my hand rather than a Ste.phen King (yes, I know. It's the same person). I'd forgotten he used a psuedo-name for a bit. Why would someone as talented and popular as he is use a false name? Of course, it wasn't long before people figured out who it was but, still. I think if I wrote as a profession and had that kind of celebrity, I'd never hide my writing. It's not like people are mobbing him at grocery stores. He can still have a pretty regular life.

Whatever his reason for it, the proof is certainly in the pudding. His writing style is like no other and I am quickly remembering why I was such a big fan in the first place. Perhaps the latest novel will adorn my nightstand after this one.

3 comments:

Dee said...

yikes!
I had to leave Stephen King behind. I used to love all that scary stuff when I was in school too but I don't have the stomach for it like you do.

Dee said...

PS
I think the pseudonym was because he was writing potboilers. . . lot of folks do that.

Enchantress said...

Oh, that makes sense. Potboilers! Gotta pay the car note, right?