Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Raising Kiddlings the Best Way I Know How

Why is it that when I have my proudest moments around my kids, they go and blow it all up to hell? It just seems to happen in that sequence every time and it really irks me. Yesterday, my beloved eldest had to stay with the neighbors, while I went into town to work (we're on a summer camp waiting list). When I picked her up, we had to hurry to swim lessons, so I couldn't talk to the mom about the girls and their day. Right after swim, it was gymnastics time. The girl is good, I gotta tell you and the teachers felt so too. So, they encouraged me to move her to the intermediate class. Fine. Another fifteen dollars and an additional hour to class time, so that she can possibly get a gold medal some day. Suits me.

I was proud, to say the least, and she was excited to move to the next class level and join her friend, who had already moved up earlier this year. When we got home, I ushered the kids into the shower and started working on dinner. Not two minutes into their shower, I get a phone call from the neighbor. It seems my blessed child, along with the neighbor's daughter, destroyed some moon sand...basically turning it into moon mud. Along with that, the seed of my loins carved her name into their kitchen wall with a knife. What the hell?! Oh! We were livid! She was sobbing by the time we were done with her. Phrases like, "home training" and "destruction of property" and "things you wouldn't do at your own home" were thrown around like crazy last night. I couldn't believe it and, on top of it, I was utterly embarrassed.

The mother kept saying that they had just made bad decisions and it was no big deal. Like hell! It is a big deal when your kid is acting like a hooligan at someone else's house. We've had discussions with her before about how to act away from home and it was if it her memory suddenly disappeared for the day. So, while I work downstairs and her sister enjoys Barney times in the spare bedroom, eldest sister will be cleaning her room and organizing her closet for the first part of the day. It's raining, so there's no going out side and she's also to write an apology letter to the neighbor's. It's a good thing they haven't banned her from their house (which we informed her that they had every right to do).

I know kids mess up but I internalize stuff like this so much. Thoughts of, "Am I doing something wrong as a parent?" or "What do they think of us, now?" and "Will the whole neighborhood be buzzing of this after yesterday?" flooded my mind. Is it crazy to be worried? I don't want her ostracized from things because of a mishap like this. We've had troubles with behavior before and I really thought she was out growing this. I could rack my brain all day, but I don't think it's going to get me anywhere but ulcerated and stressed.

1 comment:

Dee said...

wow
I'm sure she'll think twice next time
I think the apology letter is a good deal