Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All Saint's Day

"When: November 1st (http://www.holidayinsights.com/christian/saintsday.htm)

The Christian holiday of All Saint's Day honors and recognizes all of the saints of the christian church, many of which were martyrs. The church sets this day aside to celebrate over 10,000 recognized saints. Historically, All Saints Day was known as Hallomas.

Did you know? All Saints Day and All Souls Day was originally in May. They were moved to November 1st and 2and to downplay the Pagan holidays of Halloween (All Hallow's Eve) and Dia De Loss Muertos. Religious leaders felt these holidays were too popular at the time to ban outright. But, if moved they christian holidays to this time periods, the pagan holidays would slowly die away......."

I guess they didn't. These holidays are just as popular as ever and boy did we celebrate in the festivities, yesterday. Candy, cakes and cookies galore! (so yesterday, I allowed myself to partake, and today I'm feeling it...boy, am I feeling it). Probably not in the way you would think. We had lots of chilis and chowders. Chilis have beans. Then, I went home and had really cheesy pizza (did I mention that I'm lactose intolerant?). All the lactaid in the world couldn't save my stomach last night, this morning and again this morning. Granted, the fiber is great for you and I truly didn't eat as many sweets as I could have, but man. There should be a cut-off number of beans that is widely known so that you don't end up living in the bathroom for the entire night. Sorry, I know...too much information.

We did have a good time, though and we've got some pretty talented chefs around here. The costumes were creative, as usual. Someone was a pretty involved dark angel, there were four or five Alice in Wonderland characters, all from the mad hatter's party, I myself was a prom queen--complete with tiara and corsage.

Once I got home, dad was getting the babe prepped for trick or treating, layering her clothes underneath her costume. For the first time in years it wasn't raining, but it was super cold (below freezing). One of the homes was dispensing cider and allowing the kids to make cotton candy. Wow! I guess we are getting more trusting. The babe came home with freshly made cotton candy, a cauldron full of candy (which she kept calling her "witches brew") and a steaming cup of cider. She was frozen, but happy. We then ate our pizza and crashed for the evening. I got seven hours of sleep and I'm feeling fine (no sugar hang over for me, thank you).

So, I'm pretty much babbling now. Enjoy All Saint's Day and the knowledge that we get to partake in even more holidays very soon.

3 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

i know youve got Thanksgiving thrown into the mix as well- but just yesterday I was looking at the calender and there's less than seven weeks til Xmas!

Dee said...

@ rn_buffoon
yikes! I better hit the gym and gear up for all this eating.

Enchantress said...

Rn_buffoon: I know! It's crazy! Usually, I'm only off of Christmas presents by two or three, by this time of the year. Oh, I am so behind.

God's Child: No kidding! It's time to dust off the treadmill and get moving (or just go for a daily walk...we're still having mostly mild, fall-like days here.) Global warming?