Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving Post Mortum - After the Bird


I'm not a big Turkey fan, but I eat it and am not concerned about it being "free range" or not. Does that make me a bad person? Because my turkey is pumped with God knows how many steroids and lives in a crowded space, only to be processed, frozen and sent to my local grocers...should I feel bad? Funny. I don't. And I consider myself an animal lover and a person who believes in being humane. Okay. So, if I could, I would make them all free range and give them wonderful feed and fluffy blankets to sleep on but I can't. As it is, I didn't eat huge amounts of turkey, but I ate a lot of everything else. I took home leftover turkey and have had two sandwhiches since Thursday.

The day was lovely, complete with family and good times. Even though we'd all seen it before, we watched Elf after the meal. We all laughed and started to feel the impending Christmas spirit that slips in just after the last of the turkey is sealed and placed in the freezer. I remembered last year's black Friday and my Braxton Hicks that wouldn't stop coming. Now, Indy is here and eating with her six, lovely teeth...crawling around and trying not to get knocked over by my mom's dog's huge, slobbering tongue.

Friday, we put up the tree and as with every year, hubby said, "I'm not putting up a lot of lights," only to cover most of our front yard and part of the back. Amazing! He didn't grow up with the Christmas frenzy the way I did, but somehow, I've rubbed off on him. The kids love it and Indy thought sucking on the lights was a great idea. Her big sister was appalled. :)

Saturday, the amoxicillin had taken it's tole and gave my poor little baby a yeast infection. Ugh! They're miserable for adults, I can only imagine how she was feeling...trapped in a suffocating diaper with all that redness and inflamation. We went to the insta/kid care (a sort of after-hours spot for medical concerns, without the hefty emergency hospital-visit prices) on Saturday night at around 7:30pm. They got us in fairly quickly and the doctor diagnosed her within seconds. We were written a prescription and sent on our way. Down the street I went to the nearby Walgreens to fill the prescription,"We're backed up," the pharmacist tells me, "And, this is a compound, so it will take a while...about an hour." Great. Oh, but one thing...the doctor has neglected to add the quantity. He tries to call, but they've turned on their night phone. Great!

Back to the Insta/Kid care to get a quantity on the prescription. I get that taken care of, then back to the Walgreens. The girls were exhausted and the babe fell asleep in the waiting chair. Indy fell asleep on my lap. By 10:10pm, we got the prescription and headed home. Yes, I suppose I could have waited till the next day to fill the prescription but when it comes to my kids and their suffering, there's no waiting. Indy wasn't going to bed with the itchies.

So, she's doing much better and not as grouchy. The babe was eager to get back to school and I am starting to cope. Cope with what? Well, it seems hubby has been given his schedule. Graveyard. Now, it's official. Two years on graveyard shift. When he told me, I seriously wanted to die. Then, I remembered; you're never given anything you can't handle. Everything happens for a reason. The good come to those who wait. I'll just bide my time, then.

5 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

I'm so grateful that emergency room visits here are paid for in full by the Aus government...

Anyway, I know that's not what your post was about-glad your little one's on the mend now- and that you had a great Thanksgiving, Enchantress.

Enchantress said...

Oh, you're so fortunate. Socialized medicine (that is what you have, right?)...It's such a grreat idea.

Thank you! Now, it's on to the Christmas/Kwaanza/Three Kings/Ramadan holidays.

Miss Construed... said...

It's called Medicare. Every family has their own card and you just show it and everything is bulk billed. Doctors and hospital bills all covered; things like ambulance and dentist not covered.

Of course you can still pay for private heath insurance and avoid waiting lists( I waited six months for a cyst in my leg to be operated out- the list was supposed to be twelve months tho so I got in early).

On the flipside I had both of my kids in a public hospital and it didn't cost me a cent- yet after paying private insurance premiums for ages a friend of mine still got slugged with a thousand dollar excess bill.

Less than a month to Christmas! Scary thought- considering I have not bought even one present for my kids!

Dee said...

yes, good things do come to those who wait but how long must you wait before you start to make some noise?

alex said...

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. I might not understand it at the time, but the reward in my opinion is walking away with a sense of knowing that you dealt with it, and have taken something positive away from the experience.