Thursday, June 28, 2007

Our Second Session and Learning How to Communicate

It was a really good session and there were two things that really made it work; a.) the office is in the midst of several pediatric offices, so there are kids (lots of them) in the waiting room. Hubby was playing a game of peek-a-boo with an eleven month old, while I learned about missing fingers and toes from a three year-old. Children can always help in bringing things into perspective and b.) we both went in with a positive attitude. Last week, we just were at our wits end and didn't know what to do. This time, there was a sense of hope.

We talked with our counselor about two of the past issues we've been dealing with (one of mine and one of his). We also talked about the history of relationships in our lives, in terms of what long-termed relationships we were witness to. After listening to my story, she determined that what makes a long-term work is having things in common and enjoying each others company. From him? Stability and respect for both parties...things I already knew from him, but heard in a different way from our therapist. It was quite enlightening.

We went home afterwards and had dinner (sandwiches and chips) and settled in for a bit of TV watching. Once the kids were in bed, we sat and talked a bit on the couch about some of the day's events and also how we felt about the session. It was only a few minutes, but it was a great joy just to have that time with him. We went to bed, after a nightcap (a Master Mixes Mai Tai...would have much rather had a real one but hey, you take what you can get) and a little more conversation. I had a little trouble turning off my head, but eventually I settled down and went to sleep. I felt quite refreshed when I awakened this morning. I can't remember the last time I felt that way.

On other fronts, my hair is growing and my color is fading or just looking really dark because of my new growth. It's very coily/curly and soft. Hubby is not digging his growth at all and keeps threatening to cut it. He did say that he'll at least have it edged up in the next few days. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to brighten up my color and go a bit blonder. I'll be two-tone by the fall, but by then I could dye it just dye it back off-black or brown...hmm...or maybe plum.

The basement floor is nearly complete. It's almost hard to believe that we'll have this space to use in just a few short weeks. We've been waiting so long. It will be surreal (yes. I need to get out more).

Finally, I've had enough gumption to start working out again. For a while, I was so depressed and sick that I just couldn't muster up the energy to do anything...not even walk the dogs like we were doing each weekend. Last week, I took a mile jog and did a two mile walk. I haven't done anything yet this week (I had that set-back on Sunday) but, I want to. The fact that I want to is huge for me right now.

4 comments:

Dee said...

alright!
that pic of sandwiches is making me hungry

Miss Construed... said...

Sounds like it's all coming together again- hope the good vibes continue!

x

Dee said...

hey
we miss you

Enchantress said...

I was missing you guys too...work has me crazy, along with all my home stuff. I'm here! Really, I am. Now, I'm off to see what's been up with you guys. ;)