Friday, December 01, 2006

Baby, it's Cold Outside!

We've had record breaking temps for the past couple of days. First, a storm from the pacific northwest ambushed us on Tuesday evening. My area got about three inches of snow, not a big deal, but Salt Lake was a complete white-out. When I drove in on Wednesday morning, the temps had dropped to the single digits (rare around here). This caused what moisture had fallen on the ground to freeze. Freezing is also rare here, but we had our share of ice storms back in Nashville. This caught the service crews off guard, so the salt trucks weren't much help. It took an hour to get to work, not bad, but not fun to be in the car so long. My poor car looks like it was dipped in salt and I'm cringing to think what it's doing to my paint. Guess I'll run it through the gas station car wash this weekend.

Outside, the fresh powder has made things look extra Christmassy. The lights that are on at night have that extra reflection off of the snow. Icicle lights look exceptionally pretty with snow covering them. I'll be glad when we have a regular snow storm...the kind where it dumps and then stays fresh on all the yards, but melts on the streets.

Inside, cuddling is so much more fun when it's freezing cold. Twinkling lights from the tree that light up our family room, hubby and I spooning tightly underneath a heavy blanket. It's been grand. This morning, he was home and randy (Awesome!) and after our hot and heavy session, it was hard to get up and get ready for work knowing that he could lay there almost indefinitely. I got to work early today to get home early tonight. No overtime scheduled and this is his weekend off. I can't say how thrilled I am. I'm extra happy because old TOM is due and there will be no lovin' after it shows up. (Oh, I'm extra happy because the way my luck runs most of the time, it would have shown up this morning and I would have been totally pissed off).

Christmas movies are playing at my house again. It's time. The babe has watched A Charlie Brown Christmas twice since I've "okayed" the watching of holiday movies again. She's also seen, Toy Story, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, Disney Princess- A Christmas of Enchantment, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (live action),Meet Me in St. Louis, the tale-end of Home Alone and White Christmas. She's yet to dig out the Garfield: Holiday Celebration since watching the Halloween special in October, but I suspect it's coming soon. There are so many more that will play in my house, during the month of December. Hubby can't understand why I wait till this time of year for her to watch these movies then get frustrated when she tries to watch this stuff during the middle of the year. I dunno. I just don't want to hear, "Have a holly, jolly Christmas" singing through my home in May. It's unsettling to me, somehow.

This year, though, her school is doing "Christmas Around the World" assignments. I don't have a problem with this but, then I got to thinking: "I live in Mormon-land, where most everyone celebrates Christmas. Where I grew up in California, I had Catholic, Muslim and Jewish friends. In fact, I made dradles and latkes in my second grade class. She may be to young for that explanation, but I think it's important for her to know a little bit about all faiths. I'll probably start introducing them next year.

1 comment:

alex said...

The weather here can be described "weird" at best. One day we had strong winds and tornado watches, and the next it's freezing cold and spitting snow.