Friday, January 06, 2006

Lock-Down


I had my 39-week doctor's appointment, yesterday. I'm still reeling! Thirty-nine weeks! He's put me on bed rest. Below, I've pasted in the note that I sent to my coworkers about the "lock-down" he's put upon me:


Good morning, all!
As you know, I had my 39 week (can you believe that?!) appointment with the doc last night. My appointment was at 4:15 and I was weighed and ushered into a room at about that time. After the nurse took my blood pressure, she was not happy with the results, so took the pressure two additional times to be satisfied. I showed her my "cankles" and described how different they were from a couple of days ago. After the third try, I was still 120/110 (the first time it has been high during this pregnancy).
After my "void" test and another little chat with the nurse, I was sent back to my room to wait for the doc. He appeared shortly thereafter and took a look at my chart, emitting a concerned "Hmmm" as he looked. He then performed his "checks" and then asked me, "So, what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Umm, work and stuff," I said.
"Well, you may be delivering a baby, depending on what we find out about her. But first, I want you to lay on your left side for a few minutes, then I’ll send the nurse back to take your pressure again."
Okay total shock…but, the whale flipped over onto her left side and waited for the nurse like a good mammal. She returned, took my pressure again and sighed with relief – 120/80. "Much better," she said. The doc returned and said that he wanted to do a stress test on the baby. I get dressed and walk down the hall to a room with a Lazy-boy (I kid you not!) and the stress test machine next to it. They strap the monitors on, recline the Lazy-boy and ask me to push a sensor, every time the baby moves. Since the strapped-sensor was not cooperating, my left hand was in charge of holding it on. I looked like a contortionist! So, there I lay for about 45 minutes (anyone want to guess how many times my cell phone rang?).
The doc returns, reads the print out then calmly kneels down to my eye level and says, "Go to bed and lay on your left side. Don’t chase your daughter, don’t run with your dog. Don’t do anything but lay there. I want to see you on Tuesday morning, the earlier the better. At that time, we’ll make an assessment and see what’s happening. We may have to get her sooner rather than later."
His concerns; my blood pressure, a 4 pound weight gain since last week (who knew!) and the fact that she is still "very high". He says that her position takes the likelihood of a C-section way up. So, we’d have to induce and try to get her moving, if she’s not showing a "move south" by Tuesday.
So, it seems yesterday was the last time I will see you guys for a while, dang it! I was ready for Pei Wei! J I will be online (that, I can do) today, Monday and (hopefully) Tuesday afternoon. Of course, I will keep you posted on the news and what’s happening with ******. Thank you all for your support through all of this. You don’t know how much I appreciate it! (Sending big bear hugs through cyberspace). Please don’t hesitate to call, email or IM me. I’ll be here.
Thanks a heap and enjoy your weekend!


So, I suspect I'll start getting messages in the next little bit (it's not quite 8:00 here, and that's about when people start coming into work). I sent my note at the 5:30 hour, already having been online for an hour. I know. I must be out of my mind! I'm not exactly obeying doctor's orders, since I took my little one to my mother's this morning. Hey, she had to get to school somehow.

It's sort of weird thinking about the possibility of the baby coming next week. What day will it be? Will her birth story be as exciting as her sister's? (Hopefully exciting, without the sickness drama) When will it happen? Will it be a morning, afternoon or evening birth? Will she look like me or her daddy? Will she be an easy child to raise or will she cry continuously? How will our lives change, once she's here? I'm really excited but I won't get nervous until showtime (that's usually how things work for me).

Hubby was so sweet, yesterday. He stalked me until I answered the phone (I had not had an opportunity to tell him why my appointment ran from 4:15 to 6:00). He purchased fixings for soup and sandwiches, along with a lovely bouquet of flowers he and the babe picked up for me as well. He's gotten refocused on the painting again, now that it appears the baby may make her appearance next week (and not in June, as I predicted). I hope it's all done, dry and my furniture back in place before she gets here. I'd like to welcome her to our home, not our tornado disaster. We're so anxious to see her!