Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Do I Have to?

School is starting up soon and I'm actually very happy about it. It gets one raggedy child out of my house, which is a God-send, and gives the younger one her power-over-the-house back. It's the homework that I'm not looking forward to. Her homework becomes my homework (overseeing, instructing and assisting). They don't tell you that when you become a parent, you become a back-up to the teacher, too. I guess, with my own mother, I just figured she was doing her job (my mother, for a time, was a school-teacher). I am not looking forward to more multiplication drills, basic geometry, projects, and book reports. Okay, maybe book reports. Those are kind of fun.

Dance and gymnastics will also begin at the end of the month. They'll be busy and I'll be broke. There's no happy medium, yet. One day, the eldest will have a job and will be able to fund some of her own activities. I keep telling myself that the day will come but, truth be told, I'll probably continue to help sponsor this kid till her teen years. I'd rather she fret about her studies and homework than money. She'll have her whole life to fret over money.

Hubby and I are feeling a little restless. I feel it from both of us, but I'm not sure how we're going to get past it. There's so much to do and never enough time. Sometimes, it's our finances that hold us back and sometimes, it's life and all that it throws at us. I need my plumbing fixed, my kitchen redone, tile in the bathrooms, a new dining room table, my carpet extracted, paint down the stairwell, all of our photos hung up. The list just goes on and on. We try to set-up projects yearly and we do okay, but not as well as we could.

No comments: